Wednesday, February 8, 2012

More, Lord

This morning, I opened my Bible and read Psalm 18:10, "He mounted the cherubim and flew, he soared on the wings of the wind." [Talking about the LORD, my God, in response to David's cry for help.]

Anyway, I thought about the LORD flying on cherubim, soaring on the wings of the wind. I want to fly with you, God. 


My request seemed childlike, maybe childish.

I thought about children, and how they just want more of the good stuff. When they eat something they like, "More!" When they get pushed on a swing, "Higher!" When they get thrown in the air by a fun-loving adult, "Again!"

When I'm the kid, I just want more of what I like. When I'm the adult, I determine how much is enough, usually by 1) me getting tired 2) running out of supply 3) knowing that more will harm the kid or 4) it's time to move on to something else.

So I think about that with things of God.

Sometimes I pray, "More, God. More of you. More of your mercy in my life. Higher, God, I want to know your ways (that are higher than my ways, Isaiah 55:9), take me higher with you."

Will I ever be satisfied? Should I be?

When I'm around a charismatic crowd (believe in Jesus for salvation & operate in gifts of the Holy Spirit), sometimes I hear a phrase, "More, Lord, more," when they're praying, referring to wanting more of His presence, more of what He's doing.

When I first heard that prayer, I thought that sounded kind of greedy or demanding.
But then, if I remember that God is infinite, in His love and provision, and if He wants us to have more of Him - like it makes Him happy to share more of Himself with us, then I want to ask, and keep asking.

I want to keep searching the Scripture, words that He gave to educate us about Him (how He thinks, feels, operates), and Him & us (how we can interact), and us when we're away from Him (what He wants & what happens to us).

I want to walk in His ways for my life. I don't always know what that looks like, but trust He does, and that He can communicate clearly with me when/as I need to know. And trust that He leads and guides me, even when I have no idea He is--because He's good, and I'm His adopted kid through believing in His Son (John 1:11-13).  

More, Lord! Higher! Again! Forever!     

No comments:

Post a Comment